Monday, May 4, 2009

Infant sleeping advice...I need some.

I will say for the most part Sophie is a happy girl. We went to the doctors last week and she's weighing in at 17 pounds 12 ounces. So she's a BIG girl.
The last 3-4 weeks she's been getting up in the middle of the night 2 times approx., crying out and I rush to her (I shouldn't) I shove a bottle in her mouth, she drinks zero milk and falls right back to sleep. What's the problem here?
Her schedule is pretty much the following: her wake time is approx 2 to 2 1/2 hours and then she'll take 2 long naps, approx 1.5 hours to 2 hours long (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) in the evening it's about a 45 min. nap and bedtime is 8:30. She has a bottle with 4-5 oz. of formula every 4 to 4.5 hours and eats sweet potatoes (2.5 oz.) 2X a day, once in the morning and once for dinner. At her 8:30 (bed time) feeding she gulps down 3 oz. of rice cereal mixed with 9 ounces of formula in a bottle and she's asleep.
We are exhausted and feeling like we're out of options. Anyone...HELP...PLEASE?

6 comments:

Dakin said...

I'm a mean mom. Cry it out. You'll have a week of torture (up to 2 weeks potentially) but then you're set. My pediatrician told me once that the magic number is 14 lbs. Once your kid is over that (usually between 4 and 6 months old) they should be able to sleep through the night. Give it a shot--it hurts while they cry but it feels so good when you start to sleep again.

Whatever you do don't let the kid cry an hour and finally go in there--that teaches them to cry at least an hour next time (because they know you'll eventually come in like you did last time). If you're going to cry it out you can do that 5 min, 10 min, 20 min, 40 min. But, I prefer to just go cold turkey. Good luck.

Anna said...

I'm kind of with Dakin on this. If she has slept through the night before without needing a bottle or mom, then you know she can do it again.

Joe V. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe V. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe V. said...

okay, one more time, see if I can get the link right...

I've heard the "14 lbs" rule-of-thumb quoted with several different weights (10 lbs, 15 lbs).

Some LDS parents swear by Babywise.

I tend not to put a lot of stock in either. On the other hand, my daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 2, so maybe don't ask me. :-) (Okay, it sounds dramatic, but really, beyond a certain point, it was just waking up once and being put right back down, kinda like you described. And it would've been six months earlier except we moved and screwed up the whole routine and environment and such.)

Zanie-Chan said...

Well, I don't have any advice on the sleeping, but this picture is just way too cute to not comment!!!! She looks just like her big sis in this pic!!!! I LOVE it!!!!
<33 Zane